Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Food Critic Wins Pulitzer!

No, it wasn't me.
Rather: Jonathan Gold of the Independent LA Weekly. A snippet:
Doused with champagne, Gold said he was "giddy" about winning Pulitzer's criticism prize Monday. Gold, 46, beat out his former colleagues at the Los Angeles Times to become the first food critic to capture journalism's highest honor.

"The Pulitzer Prize is something that, when you're a food writer, you don't even dream about," he said.

Gold started his restaurant-review column, "Counter Intelligence," at LA Weekly in 1986. He brought it to the Los Angeles Times for a few years before returning to the Weekly in 1996.

"I write about Los Angeles through the medium of food," he said. "The great thing about L.A. is what an astonishingly diverse city it is, and I get to hang out in all these neighborhoods. I couldn't imagine a better way to spend my life."

No comments: